ON THE COVER: DANNY OWENS
The American Bald Eagle on the cover was mounted by Wolfforth, Texas, taxidermist and World Show bird judge Danny Owens. Judges are allowed to enter in the Master of Masters competition and Danny's entry took third place in this very prestigious competition. Danny will again be one of the judges at the 2019 show.
The eagle was brought to Danny by Pamela Holmes, a member of the Choctaw tribe near Floydada, Texas. It took Pamela 1 1/2 years to apply for the permit through the Federal Registry in Denver, Colorado, and then to receive a bald eagle to have mounted for her tribe. The day before Danny left for the World Show, Pamela made a visit to Danny's shop and blessed the bird in a true Indian ritual. Danny and his wife Kim said just having the opportunity to mount a near perfect bald eagle specimen was humbling, but the Indian ritual blessing was a life changing experience.
This issue's Gallery features all of the entries in the Master of Masters competition at the 2017 World Taxidermy Championship, another very special and worthy group of entries. They are all winners in our eyes, but only the three top vote-getters get recognized at the award ceremony. The votes are cast by the Master division competitors with each allowed one vote for his or her favorite entry.
- The Breakthrough Gallery: 2017 Master of Masters Entries
- 3D Printing for Taxidermy by Allis Markham
- Turkeys: The Cally Morris Way by Larry Blomquist
- Making Copper Leaves by Kurt Ainsworth
- Home Delivery: A Journey to Fulfillment by Ted Richmond
- How Well Do You Know Your Competition?by John Jennings
- Part 1: Prepping a Striper Reproduction by Mike Kirkhart
- Reference Study: Ibexes by Larry Blomquist
- Our Trip to China by Glen Browning and Clark Schreibeis
REFLECTIONS REVIEWS AND REVELATIONS
Q&A by Larry Goldman
I WOOD Like to Know by Larry Goldman
Calendar of Events
Schools & Training
Directory of Advertisers